The current building dates from the 18th century, but was built on the site of an earlier church dating from the Middle Ages. The current church features architecture typical of mountain churches of this period, with a square bell tower-porch and a single nave.
The church’s interior is sober but elegant, with carved wooden decoration and frescoes that were restored in the 20th century. The choir houses a marble altar with statues of Saint Jacques and Saint François de Sales.
The Hauteluce church is also known for its bells, which were founded in 1864 and are still used today to call the faithful to mass and to mark important events in the life of the community.